Hotels for Pinkfest ...

Pinkfest Discussion Forum

Return to Pinkfest

Hotels for Pinkfest ...

Postby annie » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:38 am

This is an edited repost of an item which has appeared a few times in a few different formats over the years.

My STRONG suggestion is to book your hotel NOW! Do not procrastinate! We're approaching the two-month mark, which is when prices have been known to rise without boundaries as the hotels sell out. Most River North hotels in Chicago DO sell out for the autumn weekends.

We don't really have any "suggested" hotels like we have for DLV. However, I and some of the others can suggest a number of options for any price range.

If you have any questions or concerns about hotels, ask and I'm sure you'll get some answers. :)

My strong suggestion: Book early, check rates often for a better rate.

You basically have two choices WRT hotels for Pinkfest, those being:

1. Downtown and River North hotels.

2. Suburban motor hotels or motels.

The advantage to Downtown and River North hotels is, as they say, "location location location", as they are within a very easy walk to a number of our activity locations.

The disadvantage is that they typically cost between one arm and two arms and two legs! You can get decent comfortable and clean rooms in the River North area for less than $150 per night if you look around, but these will typically be older hotels with smaller rooms.

Another disadvantage of the Downtown and River North hotels is that seldom is parking included at no charge. (One very notable exception, see below.) If you will have a vehicle, these will often not be your best choice.

The hotels and motels in the 'burbs offer much lower rates plus free parking. One in particular (see below) has been ephemerally popular with our people. Some of our people who stay in these will drive in, others will drive to a park-n-ride lot, and a few are within walking distance to the subway/El.
. . . . . . . . . .

Here are the hotels I've stayed in for Pinkfest over the years, with some notes on each:

1. Best Western River North (multiple years), Ohio and LaSalle. This is one of the only semi-reasonable, semi-decent hotels in the area that offers free parking, with unlimited in-out, to guests. Older hotel, older rooms but clean and comfortable.

Rates do include parking, so in essence you're paying for it whether you use it or not. Factor that into any price comparisons.

On-site restaurant was surprisingly good.

3 block walk to the State Street subway, 5 block walk to the Brown Line El.
. . . . .

2. Red Roof Inn (multiple years), Ontario and St. Clair. Another older semi-well-kept hotel. Rooms comfortable but spartan and small to very small. (Ginger's room in 2009 has to be the smallest hotel room I have ever seen!)

Rates are often the lowest for any semi-decent hotel in the area. No convenient in-out parking.

6 block walk to the State Street subway.
. . . . .

3. Days Inn Gold Coast. Clark St. w. of Lincoln Park. Yet another older semi-well-kept hotel. Small but nice room. Gazillion channels on cable TV.

Rates tend to vary from reasonable to obscene depending on demand. No convenient in-out parking. On-street parking in adjacent residential areas is mostly reserved for residents.

6 block walk to the Brown Line. Shuttle driver will take you almost any place within reason.
. . . . .

4. Holiday Inn O'Hare Cumberland (nee Ramada Plaza) (multiple years), Cumberland and I-90 (Kennedy Expressway). This is "The OJ Hotel" and is the typical suburban motor hotel. The rooms are larger and nicer than the older downtown places and the rates are usually quite a bit less. Of course this has free parking with in-out.

This is a decent compromise between cost and convenience.

Rates vary from very reasonable to totally out of line depending on the phase of the moon.

4 block walk to the Blue Line. It looks much closer on a map, but you can't get there from here. :) Shuttle will take you to/from the train/bus and O'Hare, but not Midway.
. . . . .

5. Holiday Inn Express Mag Mile (nee Cass Hotel), Wabash bet. Ontario and Erie. Older hotel recently remodeled with smallish but very nice rooms. Bathroom was very nice and almost as large as the bedroom portion. :)

Rates seem to be a bit higher this year than in past years. No convenient in-out parking.

3 block walk to the State Street subway.
. . . . .

6. Hampton Inn River North, Illinois and Dearborn. This is the nicest place I've stayed in the River North area. Rooms are much larger and nicer than RRI/HIE/BestWest.

They say that parking is available. ($$$$ I'm sure!) 2 block walk to State Street subway.
. . . . .

7. Comfort Inn, Ohio and State. Smallish but very decent room. Location! Incredibly convenient to about everything. One block walk to the State Street subway. Parking available next door, but not cheap.
. . . . . . . . . .

Other hotels which our people have stayed in and liked:

1. Palmer House. Downtown. $$$$$$$$$$ Need I say more. :)

2. Hilton Garden Inn, Grand and State. $200-ish per night.

3. Doubletree Inn River North. Nice, semi-decent rates, but several blocks east of the action.

4. Holiday Inn City Center. Ditto, but not as far. I've stayed here, multiple times, but not for Pinkfest. Ohio and Fairbanks.

5. Days Inn Elk Grove Village. This is right next door to Hunters Dance Club, which some LOVE. Big problem is that it's nowhere near anything else. Very reasonable. Shuttle to/from O'Hare and the Blue Line. Shuttle driver has been known to be bribe-able to drive elsewhere. :)

6. Holiday Inn, West Loop. A bit out of the way and a bit spendy. $$$$$ Easy walk to the Blue Line.

7. Holiday Inn Mart Plaza. Higher than most in the area. Very easy access to Brown Line.
. . . . . . . . . .

Any questions or concerns about hotels, please ask. :)
annie
Elector

Hotels for Pinkfest ...

Postby External Poster » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:28 am

This posting is from: Tina
----------

Annie is quite correct. Although I don't expect to attend this year,
because I am back in school, I did check online for the Hilton Garden
Inn on Grand Ave. I've stayed there many times and really like it.
Great restaurant (Weber's) and it is built literally right on top of a
Red line station. Parking has gotten more expensive over the years
(currently $38 per night).

It is $185 for Thursday and Friday that week, but not available at all
on Saturday night or Sunday, even when I try to use HH (Hilton Honors
program) points. The Hampton and the Embassy suites are still available
all weekend at 209 and 236, respectively. These are so-called discount
rates for Gold HH members, plus AAA. NOTE that I did not try to call
Garden Inn directly - sometimes they will still give you a res directly,
particular if you are in HH.

I've never had a problem with Hilton being unwilling to rebook me at
lower rates if prices fall closer to October. Given current economic
news that could happen, but do follow Annie's advice and book now to be
sure you have a room.

Thanks,

Tina

----------
(This posting was entered by Tina, an external user of MyDLV.)
External Poster
External

Hotels for Pinkfest ...

Postby External Poster » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:24 pm

This posting is from: Linda1Lee2
----------

The downtown hostel at http://www.hichicago.org/ is nice. It has a
private bedroom for up to 2 people for $74/night for 10/20 - 10/22, but
shared bathrooms.

http://www.hostels.com/chicago/usa?source=hostelscomus&gclid=CKG1-eyl36oCFUJrKgodYkVL9g
lists others who might have private rooms.

http://www.airbnb.com/search/?location=Chicago&af=173684&c=srch_chi_hos&gclid=COHp352m36oCFcYUKgoddDgB9g
lists private rooms.

http://www.couchsurfing.org/ is an interesting cheap option if you are
flexible and don't mind being public about your status with your host.

I went to Tommy Gun's Garage at Be-All and enjoyed it.

----------
(This posting was entered by Linda1Lee2, an external user of MyDLV.)
External Poster
External

Hotels for Pinkfest ...

Postby External Poster » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:48 am

This posting is from: pamela elliot
----------

This will be my first pinkfest so if the questions are answered some
where else please be gentle.

#1 Is the agenda of events out yet.

#2 What hotels are closest to the majority of events.

#3 We like Hampton Inns is in the general area of events.

Thanks
Pamela Ann

----------
(This posting was entered by pamela elliot, an external user of MyDLV.)
External Poster
External

Re: Hotels for Pinkfest ...

Postby annie » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:32 pm

> #1 Is the agenda of events out yet.

No, we've been going back and forth on this, and will most likely have a preliminary schedule out very shortly, which will include, yes, a number of the things being discussed here lately.

We'll most likely be asking some questions in the very near future regarding how many are interested in some of the proposed activities.

> #2 What hotels are closest to the majority of events.

There will not be a concentration of activities to the extent that we can say that any hotel will be close to most of them. Throughout our history, and continuing with things which have been discussed, we'll have things happening in the River North area (just north of the Loop), Boystown/Lakeview, and Oak Park, with some things happening elsewhere.

> #3 We like Hampton Inns is in the general area of events.

There are two Hampton Inns in the River North and Loop area. I'm staying at one, but the prices at the one I'm booked at have risen to over $200 per night.

There are also Hampton Inns at both Midway and O'Hare airports. These will be much lower in price.
annie
Elector

Return to Pinkfest