Planning for Pinkfest 2013 ...

Pinkfest Discussion Forum

Return to Pinkfest

Postby annie » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:00 pm

Welcome to those who just joined the Pinkfest list or forum. We picked up a number of Diva Las Vegas attendees, and we're happy to see that you are considering Pinkfest. Everything is "go" for Wednesday, October 16 thru Sunday, October 20.

Everything is all set except for that fact that our schedule of activities is currently empty and open!

Unlike DLV, there's no formal planning committee. Our plans are made and agreed upon by those of us who will be attending. Likewise there is no formal registration process. You "register" for Pinkfest by writing us a note saying you'll be there and/or responding to various RSVP notices that come out just prior to the event.

Now is the time to start planning our schedule, and input from YOU is requested. There's very little "real work" involved here. We just need to agree upon what we're going to do and get volunteers to do any hoop-jumps that might be required, such as restaurant reservations, chasing down show tickets, etc.

About the only thing that's currently on the schedule for this year is the long-standing Lunch With Ginger, but the locations have not been set yet.

We have a number of old favorites, all of them very TG-friendly, and we're always looking for new places to try. If you have any suggestions, please say so. Our popular lunch venues include Ed Debevics, Ann Sathers, The Walnut Room, and Maggiano's Little Italy.

We usually have a Happy Hour followed by dinner most evenings. As a note about this, when we have "Happy Hour" on the schedule, it means a social hour, and may or may not coincide with a venue's promotional drink price times.

Winberies is a long-time Pinkfest favorite. The Berghof has become a recent favorite. We had a great dinner at Lawry's last year, the food was great and the service was impeccable. Gino's East has been another of our favorites for a more casual dinner. Again, we're always looking for other places to try.

My offer still stands to host(ess) a dinner at Harry Caray's, a place I've been meaning to try.

In recent years we've been taking in a play or show one evening. Last year we saw the excellent pre-Broadway run of "Kinky Boots", which is now indeed playing at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre in Manhattan.

I really don't know what will be playing this year, but suggestions for things like this are welcome.

We've done touristy things off and on over the years. Museums, boat trip, Sears/Willis Tower, etc. Suggestions for these are also welcome.

We've also done the TransCinema at The Center, but I don't know if that is still going on, as well as various Sunday afternoon programs at the Oak Park Library. I know that things like this may not sound "exciting" to some, but I've found them to be enjoyable and relaxing.

Anyway, we want to start the conversation going that will put together our Pinkfest 2013 schedule.

The floor is open ...
annie
Elector

Postby External Poster » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:38 pm

This posting is from: Ginger
----------

Annie,

I've already snatched up a cheap airfare to Chicago, but I need to find
and reserve my room early to lock in a good rate. Chicago can be very
affordable if you commit and reserve early on! I can hardly wait to eat
and drink at some of my favorite places.

Laura has already made some great suggestions, but it's going to be hard
to top the Nora Jones concert and Kinky Boots now playing to acclaim on
Broadway, but I'm betting we are going to find even better!

On the room I'm torn between City Suites and where I stayed last year or
even the Wright Inn in Oak Park as budget alternatives or I could pony
up and live in luxury like you do!

Ginger

----------
(This posting was entered by Ginger, an external user of MyDLV.)
External Poster
External

Re: Planning for Pinkfest 2013 ...

Postby annie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:49 am

> On the room I'm torn between City Suites and where I stayed last
> year or even the Wright Inn in Oak Park as budget alternatives

I've been tempted to try City Suites, but every time I've priced them they were about the same as the Holiday Inn Express on Wabash or the (now-closed) downtown Comfort Inn, which are more centrally-located.

> or I could pony up and live in luxury like you do!

I wouldn't exactly call Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden "luxury", but I've found that I enjoy Chicago more when I stay in a place that's centrally located and hits that "quality threshold" that you expect when staying in a hotel today. No, I don't need turn-down service with the mint on the pillow and such, but I do appreciate that to-be-expected ROTH room that has enough room for one person to enjoy and the private bath with modern fixtures and such.

Anyway, the one thing I would encourage EVERYONE to do is not procrastinate on your hotel reservations no matter where you stay! Book early, even if the price is a bit higher than you would prefer, and re-book if lower prices show up.
annie
Elector

Return to Pinkfest